December 31, 2016 By Raven Fon
16 Quotes To Remember When You Are Overthinking
Thinking is good, but overthinking is a toxic habit that can cause more damage than many of us realize.
Our brains love to work over-time, especially when we’re trying to fall asleep, or trying not to think about something.
We overthink so much, that it is even considered to be an epidemic of sorts. Psychology professor Susan Nolen-Hoeksema of the University of Michigan conducted extensive research on the subject of overthinking. The findings stated, “Overthinking is a national epidemic among young and middle aged adults but is relatively rare among older adults: 73 percent of 25-35 year-olds overthink, compared to 52 percent of 45-55 year-olds and just 20 percent of 65-75 year-olds.” The study also found that women are more likely to suffer from overthinking- 57% of women and 43% of men are overthinkers.
Overthinking contributes to severe depression and anxiety, interferes with good problem-solving abilities, and triggers a stress response in the body which releases cortisol and can even lead to heart conditions.
We need to learn how to quiet our mind, instead of trying to distract it with a million different things. This will lead to mental clarity, focus, and teach us how to quit the toxic habit of overthinking.
Here are 16 quotes to remember when you are overthinking:
1. ““We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It’s a death trap.”
― Anthony Hopkins
2. “The more you overthink the less you will understand.”
― Habeeb Akande
3. “Don’t get too deep, it leads to over thinking, and over thinking leads to problems that don’t even exist in the first place.”
― Jayson Engay
4. “Your addiction to thinking will come back to haunt you.”
― Natsume Soseki, Light and Darkness
5. “Too much thinking leads to paralysis by analysis.”
― Robert Herjavec
6. “You know, it is a little known fact that thinking is entirely overrated. The world would be a much better place if we all did a lot less of it.”
― Laurie Viera Rigler
7. “Overthinking will not empower you over things that are beyond your control. So, let it be if it is meant to be and cherish the moment.”
― Mahsati A
8. “This is probably the advantage of being stupid. Stupid people just do. We tend to overthink. If we could eliminate the “over” and just think, then we could do, too. Only we’d be smarter doers because we’d be thinkers.”
― Sarah Strohmeyer
9. “The world is full of people who will help you manufacture tornados in order to blow out a match.”
― Shaun Hick
10. “If you’re stressing over happiness, you’re doing it wrong!”
― Shannon L. Alder
11. “They say, “Look before you leap.” So look. But do not look for too long. Do not look into the void of uncertainty trying to predict each and every possible outcome, to evaluate every possible mistake, to prevent each possible failure. Look for the opportunity to leap, and leap faster than your fear can grab you. Leap before you talk yourself out of it, before you convince yourself to set up a temporary camp that turns into a permanent delay on your journey into your own heart.”
― Vironika Tugaleva
12. “Some thoughts should never be conceived. Some questions should never be asked, because they have no answer, and the questions themselves serve only to haunt with grinding guilt and second guessing.”
― Bobby Adair
13. “Don’t overanalyze what you see. I have a felling that you’re over-thinking things. Give it some time, and the pieces of this puzzle might come together.”
― Jessica Park
14. “Don’t overthink yourself out of something good!”
― Akosua Dardaine Edwards
15. “Don’t overthink things. Sometimes you can convince your head not to listen to your heart. Those are the decisions you regret for the rest of your life.”
― Leah Braemel
16. “The head thinks. The heart knows.”
― Rasheed Ogunlaru
If you find yourself overthinking, read these quotes. They will help you to keep things in perspective when you need it most.
By Raven Fon